Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Seed Starting Time!

3/4/14

I have been anxious to start this year in gardening.  I didn't get to spend a lot of time like I wanted to last year due to traveling and many of my ideas for projects and seedlings to plant never happened.  I had a garden, but the output was not at all like previous years, mainly due to my absence and inattention.  Here are the projects I want to finish this year:

1. Greenhouse: from the used windows I have had sitting on my back porch and in my shed for several years.
2. Build more cold frames and replace the glass in the one I have.  (Stupidly, I let the lid slam shut on a below freezing day and the glass shattered.
3. Finish sewing the plastic cover for my PVC pipe greenhouse.   I have been constructing this cover out of very heavy duty opaque garbage bags I received for free because a business closed and they were throwing everything away.  Great deal for me.  I am using polyester heavy duty thread so it doesn't rot away at the seams.
4. Double the garden size: move the fence to block off the entire back section of the lot. Basically, this is the entire part of the yard that gets sun.  The rest gets shade most of the day due to neighbors towering pine trees.  
5. Potato Tower: saw instructions online. I will have to do further research and post as we go along on this one.
6. Use baskets I obtained for free off freecycle.org to make a hanging plant space on my porch.
7. Grape Harbor
8. Start year round gardening.

Please see the post labeled Thrifty Gardening that I update periodically.

That is enough to keep me busy for the moment. :0)







No comments:

Post a Comment