Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wild Edibles

I happened upon a local blog about eating wild edibles, a.k.a weeds, and I have become hooked! It is really fun to forage for free food! Today's bounty: chickweed, garlic mustard, plantain, dandelion leaves.  I am excited to make garlic mustard "horseradish", chickweed and garlic mustard pesto, garlic mustard pancakes, and plantain oil.

I also found but didn't harvest yet: violets, Japanese Knotwood, purslane, onion grass, burdock, lambs quarters, wild grape leaves, burberry bush, and a mulberry tree.  All of these are either in my backyard, the adjoining woods, or within a half mile walk of my house.  The mulberry tree came up last year next to our house.  A bird probably dropped some ripe fruit at some point.  It will have to be moved to the backyard.

You are probably wondering if I have lost my mind.  That's debatable LOL...but seriously, you should check out this blog:

http:\\www.foodunderfoot.com

I bought a book on amazon.com last year for mushroom foraging, but I haven't tried it yet.  It's called "Mushrooming Without Fear".  It has really nice color pics, which I think is essential.  Let me know if you try any great recipes on wild edibles that you'd like to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment