Monday, December 12, 2011

Birdhouse Gourds 2011

My first attempt at making birdhouses out of the gourds I grew this summer was not without some mishaps....the new puppy got about 3 nice ones from the shelf on the patio bar where I was drying a few.  I dropped one bringing it into the house and cracked it.  Another one proved to be mildewed from the inside and the walls were very brittle, but I ended up with 8 nice ones.


I am definitely hooked on growing gourds now.  I traded seed for some Dinosaur Gourds so I can't wait to start the 2012 season!  I have enough of the Bottle Birdhouse Gourd seeds to plant an entire farm it seems...LOL

Update:  I made a couple of these for Christmas presents and I am proud to say that the birds are still using them to this day.  It is also crucial to know the size of the whole to make for the birds.  I Googled birdhouse hole sizes and what birds were in my relatives area before cutting the holes.  I painted the gourds with acrylic paint and sprayed several coats of varnish.  There is something satisfying about seeing birds choose my gourds I grew and crafted myself to make their home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment